Auxiliary Cable

The Music of Today for the People of Tomorrow

The Decemberists, an alternative indie rock band which originated in Portland, Oregon in 2000 just came out with their eighth album, The King is Dead. This album was released on January 14th, 2011. The band is composed of five different musicians, including Colin Meloy, their song-writer and the band’s leader. Colin Meloy was born in Helena, Montana. I am going to listen to The King is Dead and write a review, comparing this album to previous albums, and rating the album as a whole.

The Decemberists provide an eclectic sound, having a happy, up beat tune to one song, while the next may talk about vicious murders in an eerie beat. Although this album seems to be quite different than their previous albums. In this album, The Decemberists are “returning to their folk-rock roots” says www.billboard.com. This may mean that The Decemberists plan to return to their original sound, or a different sound that they have been trying to make, and possibly a sound they grew up with. Colin Meloy says, “On a lot of songs I wrote for this record, I was trying to free my mind from more academic music interests I had over the last four or five years and trying to reconnect with some of the music that initially got me playing guitar and writing songs in the first place. So I started writing these boldfaced R.E.M. songs, and I thought, 'If we're going to go there, it would be fun to get Peter Buck to get onboard,' and he was totally into it.” This new sound of the album comes from the music that Colin Meloy started playing guitar and writing because of.

If I had to describe The King is Dead in one word, I would say Country. With a harmonica, fiddle, banjo, and pedal steel guitar, Colin Meloy may have also been integrating his home sound of Montana into this new record. When I listened to every song on The King is Dead they each reminded me of different artists. A lot of the songs reminded me of R.E.M., due to the fact that Colin Meloy intentionally did that, and Peter Buck, R.E.M.’s guitars played in some of the songs. Another song, June Hymn, reminded me of Bob Dylan. The voice sounded the same, and their was the same style of music.

Colin Meloy is a genius, and he puts his heart into all of his songs. Each song actually meant something, for example, the first song, “Don’t Carry It all” talked about not letting one person carry the whole burden. It talked about letting family or friends help with problems. Coincidentally, this was my favorite song on the album. I liked the positive message it sent out, and I liked the tune and beat.

When I look at this album and compare it to other albums of The Decemberists, honestly I am disappointed. It may be because I don’t enjoy country, but this album didn’t seem to reach me. Songs sounded the same, and some songs were plain out boring. When I listen to The Hazards of Love or The Crane Wife, or any other album of theirs, I am blown away. Each song sounds very different, sending out a different message and idea, and each song is entertaining. This album just didn’t quite do it for me.

-Fly on the Wall

(2) Comments

  1. Vinyl Staff On March 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM

    I like that you did such an in-depth review and I really feel like you covered everything in this album. But, I feel like the paragraph at the beginning was a little random and out of place...I think you could have made a more captivating beginning.
    -Clyde

     
    Vinyl Staff On March 22, 2011 at 11:15 AM

    I really appreciate this review, especially the bit where you explain why some songs sound so like the music of R.E.M. When I heard a few tracks a couple days ago, I thought they were covering really obscure, possibly unreleased, R.E.M. songs. Thanks for clearing that up.

    ~OMO

     

Post a Comment